We must be getting close to completing the 38' Northern Bay, lots of expensive parts keep showing up via UPS. The windlass pictured is a Muir Atlantic 1200 and will be used to raise and lower the anchor rope. Sometimes I'll type a sentence like that and feel like I'm over explaining the post. But for every person that says "I know what a windlass is I didn't require the additional explanation" there is a person that says "what's that metal thing in the picture??" And for every two people that make those comments there is another two people that are saying "get back to typing about boat stuff, I don't care what these fictional people might or might not be saying." Anyway, the windlass will require 12volt power run to the motor through 00 cable. There will be three ways to operate it: wireless remote control (very cool), UP/DOWN switch located at the lower helm station (less cool), and a manual hand winch (not cool). Under the windlass has been reinforced with a backing pad and extra fiberglass to withstand the added strain. Lots of wires need to be run to make everything work correctly but now that it's mounted the difficult part of the job is completed.
Speaking of expensive boat parts, the solid backed stainless steel flat bar arrived and as you can see from the photo has been installed. Adding the silver has really improved the look of the gray PVC rails. The toe rails have been held back from the bow to leave space for the anchor roller/pulpit that will be installed as soon as it is fabricated. The side decks have been white gelled and now all the hardware (cleats, deck plates, etc...) can be installed. After everything has been installed a 1" white border will be taped off and then gray non-skid will be rolled on the remaining areas. A poor explanation that will be crystal clear after a photo is uploaded at a later date.
One of the larger problems with the galley on this boat was deciding where to put the garbage can. The winning idea was to build a tip out area to the right of the stove that will house a 36 quart garbage pail that would accept 13 gallon bags. Thanks to the power of digital photography and the Internet I was able to get the size and style of the trash can approved in minutes and the crew was able to cut out the door before the day was over. The goal will be to leave enough space behind the trash to store a full trash bag. However, looking inside the cabinet there might not be enough room to accommodate this goal.
The 32' Osmond arrived yesterday so now there are three boats in the main shop. Dan took some time today getting the boat on its lines. Following the recommendation of H & H Marine we set up the bow of the boat about 3" high. We'll spend the next couple days getting materials ordered to start building and I hope to have some bulkheads installed sometime next week. The boat has to be done by February 2010 (not sure if that's the
beginning or the end of that month) so we have to get going. Hopefully I'll still have time to post updates........
If you want to see video of the hull arriving at the shop click this link.